|Click image above to view:
Best Tasting Membrane
Instructions and Application (PDF)
See below for online application form
The contest will be held during the SWMOA 2019 Annual Symposium held at the Riverside Convention Center in Riverside, CA.
Who can participate:
Any utility in the SWMOA region (Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico and Utah) that uses membrane treatment in the production of its drinking water is invited to submit a sample for judging. Facilities that do not use membranes in some stage of drinking water production are not eligible to enter.
How to enter:
Please submit the attached completed entry form to SWMOA by Friday, June 7, 2019 to sign up to participate in the contest. Please submit your entry to the SWMOA Staff at conference registration no later than 1:00 p.m. on Monday, June 24, 2019 (no exceptions). If you wish to ship your sample, please contact SWMOA staff for instructions at email@example.com or 888-463-0830.
Instructions for sample:
Please follow the instructions below when preparing your water sample:
- Collect sample from water system no more than 48 hours prior to the competition
- Place sample in a sealed 1 quart glass container
- Store and maintain sample at a temperature between 60 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit
- Do not chill the water sample or the sample will be disqualified
- Do not label the sample with your utility name or any other identifying marks
Only samples submitted in the correct sealed 1 quart glass container will be considered – no exceptions. SWMOA staff will track samples as they are turned in and assign anonymous labels to each sample. The public water system must comply with all Maximum Contaminant Levels and Treatment Technique requirements, and must not have any potable water quality violations from a regulatory agency in 2018 or 2019, or be under regulatory consent decree or order for its potable water quality.
For each entry, individual samples will be prepared. Each judge will be given one sample of each entry. The judges will evaluate the sample on the following scale:
- Taste 1-5 (1 being poor and 5 being best)
- Odor 1-5 (1 being poor and 5 being best)
- Color 1-5 (1 being poor and 5 being best)
- Clarity 1-5 (1 being poor and 5 being best)
- Mouthfeel 1-5 (1 being poor and 5 being best)
- Aftertaste 1-5 (1 being poor and 5 being best)
- Following Submission Instructions (1 being poor and 5 being best)
The sample with the highest cumulative score will be given the title of “2019 Best Tasting Membrane Water”. The runner up will also be recognized.