SWMOA Best Tasting Membrane Water Competition will be held during the 2021 SWMOA Annual Conference at the Water Replenishment District’s Albert Robles Event Center in Pico Rivera, CA.
Who can participate:
Any utility in the SWMOA region (Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico and Utah) that uses membrane treatment in the production of its drinking water is invited to submit a sample for judging. Facilities that do not use membranes in some stage of drinking water production are not eligible to enter.
How to enter:
Please submit completed entry form below to SWMOA by Thursday, Sept. 30, 2021 to sign up to participate in the contest. Please submit your entry to the SWMOA Staff at conference registration no later than 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2021 (no exceptions). If you wish to ship your sample, please contact SWMOA staff for instructions at 760-536-8863 or email.
Instructions for sample:
Please follow the instructions below when preparing your water sample:
- Collect sample from water system no more than 48 hours prior to the competition
- Place sample in a sealed 1 quart glass container
- Store and maintain sample at a temperature between 60 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit
- Do not chill the water sample or the sample will be disqualified
- Do not label the sample with your utility name or any other identifying marks
Only samples submitted in the correct sealed 1 quart glass container will be considered – no exceptions. SWMOA staff will track samples as they are turned in and assign anonymous labels to each sample. The public water system must comply with all Maximum Contaminant Levels and Treatment Technique requirements, and must not have any potable water quality violations from a regulatory agency in 2020 or 2021, or be under regulatory consent decree or order for its potable water quality.
For each entry, individual samples will be prepared. Each judge will be given one sample of each entry. The judges will evaluate the sample on the following scale:
- Taste 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being best)
- Odor 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being best)
- Color 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being best)
- Clarity 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being best)
- Mouthfeel 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being best)
- Aftertaste 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being best)
- Following Submission Instructions (1 being poor and 10 being best)
The sample with the highest cumulative score will be given the title of “2021 Best Tasting Membrane Water”. The runner up will also be recognized.